Wednesday, 20 August 2008

Whiter Than White

I hate writing this post, I hate myself for thinking it, it is beneath me, snide and unfair, but I feel it must be said.

Christine Ohuruogu won the 400m gold medal sprint with a phenomenal last 50 metres. She was however, suspended for 12 months for missing three drug tests.

Is this win deserved? The very fact this question is being asked means the win is tainted. In the 1988 Seoul Olympics Ben Johnson won the 100m, but was disqualified for drug offences forever tarnishing the sport.

Like the Tour de France, athletics is almost synonymous with drugs. Marion Jones, Kelli White, Calvin Harrison and Chryste Gaines all gold medal winners all later stripped of their titles for drug offences.

We can not allow any doubt if athletics is too survive as a sport. The letter of law must also obeyed, but also the spirit. Sorry Christine my first though was "well done, but is it legal?"

No comments: